Are you planning to pursue a career in dental science? A Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) is the only course available in India that builds the required foundation to prosper in the field of dentistry. The skills you gain during your tenure at the best BDS colleges in UP shall determine your career ahead and open doors for you in multiple pathways.
Through this blog, we shall determine what are the essential skills that you shall gain with a BDS course. Stay tuned to find out about the course, how to acquire the relevant skills, career prospects, and more.
|Table of Contents:
1. About BDS course
a. Course highlights
b. Admission Procedure
2. Top 5 skills you learn with a BDS course
3. Ways to acquire skills
About BDS course
A Bachelor of Dental Surgery is an undergraduate-level, 5-year course that is the only available course for candidates who aspire to prosper in the dental field. It is one of the most sought-after medical courses offered by private dental colleges in UP.
Let us look at the major highlights of the courses offered by the BDS colleges in Ghaziabad-
|Duration||4 years + 1-year internship|
|Course fees||Rs. 1.5 to 3 LPA depending on the socio-economic background of the candidate.|
|Eligibility||● Minimum age of 17 years.
● Minimum of 50% in Class 12th with Physics, Chemistry, Biology and passes English subject.
● Qualify NEET
To secure admission to DJ College of Dental Sciences & Research, one of the prominent dental colleges in Ghaziabad follow the below steps-
- Fulfill the required eligibility criteria.
- You are required to fill out the application form online on the college website.
- Opt for BDS as the course, and submit your academic credentials along with the NEET scorecard.
- After verification, you shall be eligible to appear for counselling.
Given your profile performance in the counselling, you shall be granted a seat.
Top 5 skills you learn with a BDS course
The course from the best BDS colleges in UP provides students with a foundational education in dental medicine. Here are the top five skills you can expect to learn during a BDS course:
- Clinical Dentistry Skills: BDS programs from the best BDS colleges in UP emphasize hands-on clinical training. Students indulge in a rigorous curriculum to learn how to diagnose dental problems, perform dental procedures, and provide patient care. As part of the course, you shall acquire skills in dental examinations, restorative dentistry, maxillofacial surgery, monitoring oral health, endodontics, prosthodontics, and other areas of dentistry.
- Technical Skills: Dental procedures require precision and manual dexterity. With complex dental procedures and surgeries, students will develop the necessary manual skills for tooth extraction, filling cavities, preparing crowns and bridges, and performing root canals. Extensive laboratory and clinical training is required for such expertise.
- Diagnostic Skills: As a BDS student you develop an understanding of diagnosing dental conditions, interpreting X-rays (radiology) and other diagnostic tools. Problem-solving skills are essential for identifying and addressing oral health issues effectively.
- Interpersonal Skills: Dentists must communicate effectively with patients and paramedic staff understand their needs, explain treatment options, and address clinical concerns. Communication skill becomes crucial for operating in dynamic environments like healthcare. It is also a mark of leadership traits.
- Ethical and Professional Competence: The best BDS colleges in UP emphasize the importance of ethical practice and professionalism. You’ll learn about patient confidentiality, regulatory concerns like informed consent, and other ethical considerations in the dental field.
BDS programs also cover topics such as dental anatomy, oral pathology, dental radiology, pharmacology, and public health dentistry. You are equipped with the knowledge and skills required to excel in the field of dentistry and provide high-quality dental care to patients.
Ways to acquire skills
Through this section, we shall help you identify different ways to hone up to industry standards with desired skills. A few of the techniques are listed below-
- Bridging theoretical knowledge with practical- During your BDS course, you shall delve into laboratory visits, clinical postings, simulation-based dental exercises, and more. Such activities improve your understanding of theoretical subjects, use of clinical equipment, deal with lab reports, etc.
- Rotatory internship- In your final year, you shall intern within a dental facility under the guidance of a senior dentist. An internship is an excellent opportunity for you to implement your knowledge and skills. It also helps you understand day to day operation of a dental clinic.
- Certification courses- Digital platforms like NPTEL, Swayam, Coursera, etc. give you the opportunity to gain certifications with minimal charges and at times free of cost. A few of the trending courses are- dental mechanics, implantology, Dental Cosmetology, Aesthetic dentistry, etc.
- Attend seminars- In your college, you would get opportunities to attend conferences, seminars, workshops, etc. wherein you can meet accomplished dentists and learn ways to advance your career.
- Education- Lastly the most important component to acquire legitimacy to pursue dentistry is pursuing the BDS course and subsequently MDS in a field of interest.
Remember, apart from gaining a formal education, being a skilled dentist requires more than attendance and theoretical knowledge. Take the initiative to attend laboratory, clinical postings, seminars, conferences, and journal presentations and network with distinguished professionals to stay relevant in the industry.
A course from the best BDS colleges in UP is a crucial step in your dream of being a dentist. The course lays a strong foundation for you to develop a lucrative career. The curriculum is designed to keep the practical aspects of the field in mind. Rigorous training ensures that you are ready for any challenges that you might encounter while dealing with dental surgeries. Complex case studies on surgeries ensure that you are well-equipped to deal with crisis situations. You shall also collaborate with doctors from different fields, thereby ensuring a comprehensive healthcare delivery to patients.
- What skills are most important for dentists?
As a dentist from the best BDS colleges in UP, you must be skilled in dealing with dental surgeries, implants, extractions, fillings, radiology and root canal treatments.
- How do I become a skilful dentist?
To become a skilful dentist, follow these steps-
- Enroll in a BDS course
- Mandatorily pursue a rotatory internship
- Opt for a specialisation in MDS.
Fulfil the above requirements with a strong conceptual understanding, develop surgical competencies and practice in simulation-based environments with the help of technology.
- Does BDS require NEET?
Yes, you have to qualify for NEET conducted by the National Testing Agency to secure a seat in BDS colleges.
- Which specialisation is best in BDS?
BDS is a universal program, focussing its curriculum on all levels of dentistry from prosthodontics to preventive dentistry. If you are looking to specialise, you need to enrol in an MDS course offering distinct specialisation.
- What courses are there after BDS?
After MDS you can enroll on various specializations like Prosthodontics, Endodontics, Periodontics, Maxillofacial surgery, etc.