Do you plan to pursue a career in medical sciences? The first step to uncover the path to being a doctor is appearing for NEET, one of the most challenging entrance exams in India. The exam being conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA) tests candidates holistically in multiple facets of subjects ranging from applied Biology to Chemistry and Physics. The exam lays the foundation for advanced medical concepts that you would encounter during MBBS/MD.
Through this blog, we shall analyse various roles of the NEET Exam in MBBS and MD admissions to private medical colleges in Mumbai. Let’s explore further.
|Table of Contents:
1. About NEET Exam
a. Exam highlights
2. Role of NEET for MBBS/MD Admission
3. Ways to structure your preparation
4. Concluding Remarks
About NEET Exam
NEET, which stands for the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test, is a standardized medical entrance examination in India. It plays a crucial role in the admission process for MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery) and MD (Doctor of Medicine) courses in private medical colleges in Mumbai.
The major highlights of the NEET exam, accepted by private medical colleges in Mumbai-
|Duration of the exam
|3 hrs 20 min
|Mode of the exam
|Pen & Paper
|Total Number of Questions
|200. Candidates have to answer 180
|+4 for every correct answer
-1 for every incorrect answer
0 for unanswered questions
Let’s look at the exam pattern for NEET:
- Candidates have to prepare 4 major subjects- Physics, Chemistry, Botany and Zoology.
- For each subject, there shall be 2 subsections-
- Section A with 35 questions
- Section B with 15 questions (10 to be attempted)
Private medical colleges in Mumbai like Terna Medical College, seek candidates who master these subjects and thus perform up to the standards.
Role of NEET for MBBS/MD Admission
Let’s have an overview of the role of NEET in admissions to MBBS colleges in Navi Mumbai.
- Standardized Entrance Test: NEET is a uniform entrance test conducted by NTA for admissions into MBBS and MD colleges in Maharashtra. It replaced several individual medical entrance exams that were previously conducted by different states and institutions. This standardization ensures fairness and reduces the burden on students to prepare for multiple exams.
- Eligibility Criteria: NEET serves as the eligibility criteria for students aspiring to pursue undergraduate (MBBS) and postgraduate (MD) medical courses in India. Only candidates who qualify for NEET are eligible for admission to medical colleges.
- Centralized Admission Process: The NEET score is used to create a merit list of candidates as per the counselling. This merit list is then shared with medical colleges across the country. Medical colleges admit students based on their NEET scores, allowing for a centralised and transparent admission process.
- Level Playing Field: NEET aims to create a level playing field for all medical aspirants, regardless of their educational background, location, or the board of education they come from. It assesses students’ knowledge and aptitude in a standardized manner.
- Common Syllabus: NEET is designed to test candidates’ understanding of the core concepts in physics, chemistry, and biology (botany and zoology) as per the NCERT curriculum. This encourages students to focus on a common syllabus and reduces the need for additional coaching for various state-level exams.
- Admission to Private and Government Colleges: NEET scores are accepted not only by government medical colleges but also by private medical colleges and deemed universities. This ensures that admissions are based on merit and not influenced by other factors.
- Reservation and Quota: NEET considers reservations and quotas as per government regulations, ensuring that seats are allocated fairly to candidates from different categories (SC, ST, OBC, etc.).
Ways to structure your preparation
If you are planning to seek admission into the best MBBS colleges in Navi Mumbai, preparing for NEET requires a well-structured and organized approach. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you navigate through the first step for admission to private medical colleges in Navi Mumbai effectively:
- Understand the Syllabus: Familiarize yourself with the NEET syllabus, which includes physics, chemistry, and biology (botany and zoology). We recommend dividing the syllabus into topics and subtopics for each subject.
- Create a Study Schedule: Designing a realistic and balanced study schedule saves you time and ensures that you cover all subjects and topics effectively. Allocate sufficient time for each subject based on your strengths and weaknesses.
- Study Material Selection: Standard textbooks are recommended for NEET preparation, such as NCERT books for foundational concepts. You should approach supplementary reference books for in-depth understanding after you have a strong foundation.
- Develop Conceptual Clarity: Focus on understanding concepts rather than memorizing. Take the help of animation videos, make notes & mind maps, and create summaries to aid understanding.
- Focus on Weak Areas: Give extra attention to subjects or topics you find challenging. Seek help from teachers, peers, or online resources to clarify doubts.
- Mock Tests and Analysis: Take full-length mock tests regularly to simulate the exam environment. Remember, time management is a crucial aspect of competitive examinations.
In summary, NEET plays a pivotal role in the admission process for private medical colleges in Mumbai. It provides a standardized platform for students to showcase their knowledge and skills, ensures a fair and transparent admission process, and simplifies the overall process for both candidates and institutions.
- What are the subjects for the NEET exam?
NEET exam has 3 sections Physics, Chemistry and Biology (Botany and Zoology). Each subject is divided into 2 sections with 35 and 15 questions respectively.
- What is the passing marks for NEET exam?
Although the cutoff varies from college to college, a score above 400 for a general candidate can get you admission to private medical colleges in Mumbai.
- How can I get 720 in NEET?
To secure a 720 in NEET, adhere to your study schedule, develop conceptual clarity and work on your weak areas. Try to improve your performance in mock exams, analyse and keep an eye on the time taken. Gradually, you shall gain confidence in your preparation.
- Is 12 marks important for NEET?
For NEET, your 12th board’s result is not taken into consideration, but are required in fulfilling eligibility to appear in the exams and also later in counseling for admission purposes.